Excess reduction is commonly sold by the rental companies (usually at the depot) and it is typically 50% more expensive than CHEW Insurance, with many more "exclusions" hidden in the fine print that are designed to minimise how much is paid out in claims. Excess Waiver reduces the "excess" which is the amount that you have to pay the car hire company in the event of an accident or damage to the vehicle from a high amount to a lower amount. The high amount is called the "standard excess" or "standard liability" and it is up to £5,000 for cars or even £7,500 for some motorhomes, the lower amount (i.e. the "reduced excess") is usually between £100 and £2000 depending on the rental company. "Excess Waiver" is a popular alternative to excess reduction. It covers those excess payments that you make in the event of an accident. 
The excess, also known as the deductible, is the amount you are liable to pay to the car rental company should you have an accident or return the car damaged, even if it wasn’t your fault. When you hire a car, even if your rental agreement includes insurance, there will almost certainly be an excess to pay. Buying excess insurance from us means that if you are asked to pay for any of the excess by your car hire company, we'll reimburse you. Note: some car hire operators offer to waive the excess charges but normally at a significantly higher price.
The excess varies depending on the car rental company, the type of vehicle you are hiring and the destination you are travelling to we can reimburse you up to the value of £5,000.
No, excess is a voluntary insurance. You have three choices:

You can decline excess cover. If you do subsequently damage the vehicle or if it is stolen, you will be liable for the excess charge.

You can purchase the car rental company’s excess cover, which is sold at the counter when you collect the car but the costs can be quite high. It can cost you between £9 - £20 a day and covers the excess on theft and damage to the vehicle. It generally excludes: damage to the undercarriage, windows, roof and tyres, loss of key and many other important items.

You can purchase a policy from CHEW Insurance. Our policies are cheaper than over the counter car hire company excess cover. We recommend you compare the level of cover you get from our policy with the car hire company and see for yourself the many benefits of talking out this policy.
You can include optional extras at any time during the period of insurance:
  • Personal Accident
  • Vehicle Rental Cancellation Insurance
It is not possible to upgrade a policy from European to Worldwide, we will provide a pro rata refund from the day you cancel and set up a new policy for you, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.
No. To purchase a CHEW Insurance policy you must be resident of UK, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands at the time of purchasing the policy. You must also hold a valid full UK driving licence or internationally recognised driving license.
Our European policy is valid for trips in, through or to the UK and all European Union (EU) Member States and countries to the West of the Ural Mountains including the United Kingdom, islands in the Mediterranean, Andorra, The Azores, Balearic Islands, Bulgaria, Bosnia, Canary Islands, Channel Islands, Croatia, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Madeira, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Romania, Russia (West of the Urals), San Marino, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine but excluding Belarus.

Our Worldwide policy covers car hire in all countries except: Afghanistan, Cuba, Congo, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, North Korea, Myanmar, Sudan and Zimbabwe.

Excludes any claim resulting from You travelling to a specific country or to an area where The Foreign and Commonwealth Office or equivalent body have advised against all or all but essential travel.
You have 14 days cooling off period to cancel your policy. You can either email or telephone us and our friendly customer service team will be happy to assist you. Administration fee of £10 may apply, please check your Policy Wording for full details.  You will not be able to cancel if you have entered into a rental agreement or intend to make a claim.
When hiring a car in the UK, Ireland, Europe, Africa, New Zealand, Australia and most of the Middle and Far East, all rental agreements generally include CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), Theft and Third Party Liability. This means that the car you’re driving is insured, however there is almost always an Excess (also referred to as Super CDW, Non Waiver or Deductible) which you have to pay in the event of theft or damage to the rental vehicle, and this can range from £500 - £1500.

Car rental companies will offer you Excess insurance to protect you against this excess, but this costs on average between £10 and £20 a day, and it doesn’t cover you for damage to the tyres, windows, roof or undercarriage and many other items CHEW Insurance protects customers from these excess payments at a price much lower than the car rental excess insurance. With CHEW Insurance you pay from just £1.59 a day, compared with the average £9 daily rate that the rental companies charge, and we DO cover you for damage to the tyres, windows, roof and undercarriage. We also cover loss of keys, lock out, drop off fees, mis-fueling, theft from the vehicle (see policy wording for full details).

When hiring a car in the USA, Canada, the Caribbean, Central and South America, you are required to have CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) / LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) - covering damage, theft and loss of use of the rental vehicle. Rental companies may insist on your buying a policy from them unless you can prove that you already have a suitable alternative policy in place (such as a stand alone policy from CHEW Insurance). Purchasing this cover directly from the car hire company usually costs between £10 and £25 per day, depending on the location, the type of car and the rental company. The Worldwide CHEW Insurance policy is from just £4.23 per day, or £45.61 for an annual policy.

Sometimes additional liability protection called Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) - covering Third Parties; i.e. other vehicles and individuals, may be required. This is often in states or countries where the statutory levels of liability insurance that must be provided with the rental vehicle are considered insufficient to protect you in the event of a serious claim. CHEW Insurance does not offer Supplemental Liability Insurance and you should check directly with your rental company if you are unsure of the level of third party liability cover that you already have as part of your rental agreement.
If you have already purchased a CHEW Insurance policy, you can rest assured that if you are involved in an accident or the rental car is stolen, we will reimburse you the excess (up to £10,000). Remember, the deposit you left when you collected the rental car will be deducted from your account but we will reimburse you that cost. 

As with all insurance policies, there are some exclusions. Please read the policy wording to make sure you are comfortable with our cover.
Car Rental Companies charge between £100 and £150 if you lose the keys to the rental car. Cover for Lost Keys is included in your CHEW Insurance policy as standard.
In the event of a claim please contact the Claims Department:

CHEW Insurance Claims
Maitland House
Warrior Square
Essex SS1 2JY
Tel: +44 (0) 203 362 2430
Email: claims@travelclaimsservices.com
You will be asked to confirm details of the incident for which you are making a claim — please have your policy number to hand. You will be asked to provide documentation to support your claim (please see list below)
  1. A copy of Your Vehicle Rental Agreement
  2. A copy of Your CHEW Insurance Certificate of Insurance issued to You when You purchased this policy
  3. Charge receipt for the rental (if separate from the Vehicle Rental Agreement)
  4. Copies of any invoices, receipts, or other documents confirming any amount You have paid in respect of the incident for which You are claiming
  5. A front and back copy of the driving licence of the person driving the Rental Vehicle involved in the accident (the driver). You may also be asked for other forms of identification

You may also be required to provide some additional documentation.
Your CHEW policy can cover up to seven drivers, as long as their names are on the Vehicle Rental Agreement and they are eligible persons (as defined in the Policy Wording). You are not required to provide the additional drivers’ names to us.
It is a standard practice for car rental companies to take a deposit "up front".
You can be assured that should there be an incident you would be eligible to submit a claim under the normal terms and conditions of the policy. The deposit does not prejudice the claim.
If you choose to buy two policies covering CDW then you won't be penalised as the cost of any claim would be shared between the two companies and the claim wouldn’t be declined on this basis. Collision Damage Waiver cover is limited to £10,000. Please ensure this sum is sufficient to cover you in the event of the total loss of the vehicle.
This insurance covers accidental damage as a consequence of theft or attempted theft, under Sections 1 and 2 of the policy. It also provides cover for the theft of a rental vehicle.

CHEW policy would cover the excess applied by the Car Rental Company in a result of theft for up to £5,000 for any single incident or £10,000 for a series of incidents during any single Vehicle Rental Agreement.

The theft of a rental vehicle is normally included under the car rental insurance policy as part of an agreement with a car rental company. You should always check the Policy Wording to ensure the policy meets your needs.
Yes, you may purchase CHEW insurance before or after you have arranged to hire a vehicle, but before you have taken possession of the hired vehicle. Cover will take effect from the time you take legal control of the Rental Vehicle and will cease at the time the Rental Company assumes control of the Rental Vehicle whether at its business location or elsewhere.

Cover is provided for one Rental Vehicle at any one time which may be driven and operated by any of the Insured Persons as detailed on the Vehicle Rental Agreement.
Save £10

SAVE money
SAFE driving

What is Car Hire Excess Insurance?

Most car rental companies charge an excess if you have an accident – this means that you will be responsible for the first part of the claim.

The part you are responsible for is called the "excess" and it varies from one car hire company to another. However, it's usually between £500 and £2,000 depending on the vehicle type you rent - but it can be substantially more on high-value cars.

You can protect yourself against these charges by purchasing an excess waiver. Some companies will try to sell you a waiver while you book, but it can cost over £20 a day! Save money with us - get a standalone excess insurance policy instead.

Please wait