Frequently asked questions

If you have any questions about car hire excess insurance, we are happy to help. You can find answers to our most frequently asked questions below. It's often the fastest way to find help – including how to make changes to your policy, what's covered and how to make a claim. If you can't find the information you need below, please get in touch via email at info@chewinsurance.com or call us on 0208 770 2755 (open Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm, closed on Saturday and Sunday).

 If you rent a car on holiday, you will typically have to pay an 'excess'; if your hire car is stolen or damaged. Car Hire Excess Insurance is designed to cover that excess.

 If your hire vehicle is stolen or damaged in an accident, the person who has rented the vehicle will be required to pay the first part of the loss, known as the “excess” usually between £500 and £2,000 depending on the value of the vehicle.

Your policy automatically covers up to 7 drivers for each trip, provided they are named as drivers on your hire agreement and meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the Policy Wording.

You are not required to provide the additional drivers' names to us. This is included under normal terms free of charge.

If, however, you would like to add another person to your annual policy, to drive independently, this could be arranged under an additional option called 'Dual lead driver'. This could be arranged before issuing policy through the website or by contacting our Customer Services Team on 0208 770 2775 or emailing info@chewinsurance.com. Additional premium required.

The minimum age is 21. The maximum age is 84.

You can include optional extras at any time during the period of insurance:

  • Personal Accident
  • Vehicle Rental Cancellation Insurance
  • Dual Lead Driver

We can also upgrade a policy from European to Worldwide, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.

No. To purchase a CHEW Insurance policy you must be resident of UK. You must also hold a valid full UK, EEA [European Economic Area] or Swiss driving licence.

Up to 9 seater vehicles, less than 10 years old and up to a maximum value of £60,000. This policy does not cover the hire of a van, motorhome or minibus.

- United Kingdom and Europe: Means all countries west of the Ural Mountains, British Isles, Ireland, and islands in the Mediterranean, Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey, Canary Islands, Madeira, Iceland, Israel and the Azores.

- Worldwide: Means anywhere in the world.

We provide cover under all sections of this policy for using car rentals in your country of residence, as long as you have booked commercial accommodation for one or more nights in a row. This applies to Single trip and Annual multi-trip policies.

Please note: No cover is provided for trips where you have travelled to a specific country or to an area where, prior to your trip commencing,  The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office have advised against all or all (but essential) travel.

If you change your mind, you can cancel your policy by letting us know within 14 days of receiving your policy documentation, provided you are not making a claim. Your premium will be refunded in full minus an administration fee of £5. Please contact us at info@chewinsurance.com.

When hiring a car in the UK, Ireland, Europe, Africa, New Zealand, Australia and most of the Middle and Far East, all rental agreements generally include CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), Theft and Third Party Liability. This means that the car you're driving is insured, however there is almost always an Excess (also referred to as Super CDW, Non Waiver or Deductible) which you have to pay in the event of theft or damage to the rental vehicle, and this can range from £500 - £1500.

Car rental companies will offer you Excess insurance to protect you against this excess, but this costs on average between £10 and £20 a day, and it doesn't cover you for damage to the tyres, windows, roof or undercarriage and many other items CHEW Insurance protects customers from these excess payments at a price much lower than the car rental excess insurance. With CHEW Insurance you pay from just £1.59 a day, compared with the average £9 daily rate that the rental companies charge, and we DO cover you for damage to the tyres, windows, roof and undercarriage. We also cover loss of keys, lock out, drop off fees, mis-fueling, theft from the vehicle (see policy wording for full details).

When hiring a car in the USA, Canada, the Caribbean, Central and South America, you are required to have CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) / LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) - covering damage, theft and loss of use of the rental vehicle. Rental companies may insist on your buying a policy from them unless you can prove that you already have a suitable alternative policy in place (such as a stand alone policy from CHEW Insurance). Purchasing this cover directly from the car hire company usually costs between £10 and £25 per day, depending on the location, the type of car and the rental company. The Worldwide CHEW Insurance policy is from just £4.23 per day, or £45.61 for an annual policy.

Sometimes additional liability protection called Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) - covering Third Parties; i.e. other vehicles and individuals, may be required. This is often in states or countries where the statutory levels of liability insurance that must be provided with the rental vehicle are considered insufficient to protect you in the event of a serious claim. CHEW Insurance does not offer Supplemental Liability Insurance and you should check directly with your rental company if you are unsure of the level of third party liability cover that you already have as part of your rental agreement.

Call us on 0208 770 2755 or contact us by email at info@chewinsurance.com. A member of our team will be happy to help you.

Yes, we'll cover your lost, stolen, or damaged hire vehicle keys - including replacement locks and locksmith charges unless only the parts need to be changed.

Claims Handlers:
Reactive Claims Limited, PO Box 353, ALTON, GU34 9LE
Phone: 01420 259 061 Web claims: www.reactiveclaims.com Email: info@reactiveclaims.com

Please refer to your Policy document page 2 for details of what to do in the case of a claim. You will be required to provide some additional documentation.

Claims Procedure:
If you need to make a claim - you can register your claim and download the claim form online. You can access a comprehensive list of FAQ's to help you with the claims process. The claim needs to be registered within 28 days of your return. Ensure to state the policy reference number and which section of the policy you are claiming under. 
You will need to provide:
• A copy of your hire agreement.
• A copy of the local police report, if required by law in the country where the loss occurs.
• Your copy of the hire company accident damage report and photographic picture of the damage caused, please ensure that the date stamp on you camera is activated.
• Invoices / Receipts / other documents confirming the amount you have paid in respect of the damage to the hired vehicle for which you are seeking reimbursement.
• A final repair invoice from the repairing garage which details the breakdown of parts and labour.
• Copy of your credit/debit card statement showing payment of the damages which you are seeking reimbursement.
• Copy of the driving licence of the policy holder and the person named on the hire agreement in control of the vehicle at the time of the incident.
• Any other documentation requested by us in order to settle your claims.
• Your bank details: Sort Code and Account Number.

Yes, the car rental company must approve a locksmith coming out to you, but we'll cover the cost.

We'll cover personal possessions owned by you if they're lost following a visible, forced entry to your hire car. But terms and conditions apply – for example, they're not covered overnight (8pm-8am) or if they're not in a locked boot or glove compartment. See policy wording for full details.

This insurance covers accidental damage as a consequence of theft or attempted theft, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. It also provides cover for the theft of a hired vehicle.

The theft of a hired vehicle is normally included under the car hire insurance policy as part of an agreement with a car hire company. You should always check the policy wording to ensure the policy meets your needs.

Yes, you may purchase CHEW insurance before or after you have arranged to hire a vehicle, but before you have taken legal control of the hired vehicle. Cover will take effect from the time you take legal control of the hired vehicle and will cease at the time the hire company assumes control of the hired vehicle whether at its business location or elsewhere.

Cover is provided for one Rental Vehicle at any one time which may be driven and operated by any of the Insured Persons as detailed on the Vehicle Rental Agreement.

Yes, we can cover the cost of flushing the engine, your additional travel expenses and vehicle recovery.

No, regretfully there would be no cover for this type of damage under the CHEW policy.

You're covered for the cost of cutting your vehicle rental agreement short, provided you have a medical certificate or letter from a medical practitioner confirming the instruction not to drive, and you are confined to bed in a hospital, hotel or private accommodation. The Vehicle Hire must be confirmed for a minimum of seven (7) days.

If you're hospitalised, we'll also cover the cost of recovering the vehicle, if there's no other authorised driver to drop it off for you.

Terms and conditions apply, see policy wording for details.

Car rental companies usually have their own insurance to offer you that will cover your excess. However, these can come at a high price – especially as it's often a last-minute purchase at the hire desk.

An alternative is to purchase your Car Hire Excess Insurance separately from us. It could save you hundreds.